An embattled youth organizer hopeful of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) Wonder Mandilo says the vetting committee of the party erred in disqualifying him from the contest.
In a long write-up to explain his side of the story, the former NUGS president described the committee’s decision as flawed, arbitrary and a miscarriage of justice.
According to Wonder Mandilo, he has since his disqualification appealed to the vetting committee to re-look at their decision and clear him for the contest.
On Thursday, the NDC vetting committee crashed out the dreams of Wonder Mandilo and one other aspirant, Elikem Kotoko from contesting the National Youth Organizer position.
The two outspoken young men were disqualified for not meeting the criteria needed to contest for a National Executive position as prescribed in the party’s constitution.
The disqualification was premised on Article 40 (2) of the NDC Constitution which states that “A member of the party is not qualified to vie for a National Executive Committee position unless the member has held an executive position within the party or government before seeking election”.
But Wonder Mandilo insists, the committee used an “Ebola Clause” which is an “alien and self-created” rule to the NDC constitution to disqualify him from the race.
He explained that he was once a Branch treasurer, an elected executive position in the NDC at Ayawaso West Constituency and served his four year term fully and that per the guidelines for the elections, he is over qualified.
Below is the full statement
September 21, 2018
SUPPOSED DISQUALIFICATION OF WONDER MADILO FROM THE NATIONAL YOUTH ORGANIZER RACE OF THE NDC
My attention is drawn to a myriad of distorted publications both in mainstream media and new media pertaining my disqualification from the race for National Youth Organizer of the NDC. Here are the FACTS!
- I filed my nomination to contest for the said position on the 5th of September 2018 having fully paid for my forms (Ghs500), nomination (Ghs4,000) and donation of (Ghs200)
- I showed up at the Vetting yesterday (September 20, 2018) and went through the vetting process as required and was asked to wait for a while
- After a few minutes, I was called back and through The Committee Chair, informed that, the Committee could not approve my nomination due to:
Article 40 Clause 2 which reads “A MEMBER OF THE PARTY IS NOT QUALIFIED TO VIE FOR A NATIONAL EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE POSITION UNLESS THE MEMBER HAS HELD AN EXECUTIVE POSITION WITHIN THE PARTY OR GOVERNMENT BEFORE SEEKING ELECTION”.
- The Committee argued that my tenure as an Executive of the Branch in the AYAWASO WEST WAGUON was less than 4years! MOST RIDICULOUS!
NOW THE UNDENIABLE FACTS!
- I have lived, worked and paid my subscription and party dues in the AYAWASO WEST Constituency from the year 2000 to 2018.
- In 2014, I was elected the BRANCH TREASURER and served a full tenure of 4yrs (2014-2018)
- Due to the Southern Cross Boundary “GOTv” Operations I am engaged in, in every National Election, I moved my ELECTORAL COMMISSION VOTE (please NOTE; National Electoral Commission VOTE and NOT my MEMBERSHIP OF THE PARTY IN AYAWASO WEST) to the KETU SOUTH Constituency in 2016 under the instructions of a Campaign Operations Team Member for the 2016/2016 elections to enable me work on the day of election (I have a letter to that effect)
The Committee argued that; I truncated and or vacated my Membership and Branch Executive Position by that action and therefore do not qualify the four 4year obnoxious clause. (Please NOTE also that, the ARTICLE 40 CLAUSE 2 DOES NOT in any way form or shape indicate how long one must serve. “A MEMBER OF THE PARTY IS NOT QUALIFIED TO VIE FOR A NATIONAL EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE POSITION UNLESS THE MEMBER HAS HELD AN EXECUTIVE POSITION WITHIN THE PARTY OR GOVERNMENT BEFORE SEEKING ELECTION”.
- I asked the Committee to state where in the Constitution it is stated that a mere transfer of vote in a National Election results in one’s forfeiture of Membership of a Branch; but they could not provide any. In fact a member of the Committee and Lawyer of Repute exclaimed “Young Man, it does not have to be stated in black and white”
- I argued further that, ARTICLE 40 CLAUSE 3 exposes the crack deeper in the decision of the Committee (AN OFFICE HOLDER IN THE PARTY SHALL CEASE TO BE AN OFFICE HOLDER IF: A) THE PERSON RESIGNS B) IS EXPELLED FROM THE PARTY C) IS REMOVED FROM OFFICE IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PROCEDURE FOR REMOVAL OF OFFICERS)
- From the above, it is obvious the ‘Ebola Clause’ of not having served for 4yrs as an executive and the alleged vacation of post by me is alien and self-created.
- I hereby state that, the Committee’s decision was flawed, arbitrary and a miscarriage of justice
- It is said “When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty”. Suffice to say I believe in the rule of law and the defence of freedom. I will continue to seek justice against the odds.
- I have therefore appealed against the ruling of the Vetting Committee yesterday September 20, 2018 @7:25pm
SHORT LIVE INJUSTICE
LONG LIVE JUSTICE
LONG THE VALUES OF THE NDC