The Chief Executive Officer of McDan Group of Companies, Dr. Daniel McKorley together with the Founder of Think-tank Danquah Institute (DI), Gabby Asare Otchere-Darko have gone to the rescue of a young boy who nearly lost his life after accidentally drinking caustic soda, thinking it was water.
The duo paid for the surgery of the young child who had his oesophagus closed and could not eat or swallow anything and has a tube connected from his mouth and passes through the throat to the stomach. Ingested food or drink goes down this tube into the stomach.
This was after they rescued him from some street preachers around the Sikelele traffic light area near the Emmanuel Eye Clinic area at East Legon in Accra, who took advantage of the young boy’s condition and used him to solicit for arms from the public.
Narrating how he found the young boy, Mr. Otchere Darko told the Board Chairman of the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital, Dr. Bernard Okoe Boye “apparently, they had been there for weeks. I stopped and took the boy from there and with the help of a philanthropic neighbour the boy was sent to Korle Bu.”
BestNewsGH.com is informed that things turned out for the worst when the tube that has been connected through the young boy’s mouth to the stomach got infected and put the boy’s life in danger, making it impossible for him to sit.
The boy had to undergo endoscopic dilatation of the oesophagus using balloons at the cost of $3,500.
It is a procedure used to open up the Oesophagus that closes through a stricture developed as a form of injury when the child drinks caustic soda.
Dr. Oko Boye revealed that Mr. Otchere Darko rescued the child from the street and took him to Dr. McKorley and solicited his support, based on which the McDan Group Chairman and Chief Executive Officer who is noted for his philanthropic works, donated a sum of $3,500 to cover the cost of the much-needed surgery for the young boy.
He said the young boy is doing better after the surgery and will be fully fit soon.