The National Organiser of the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) has denied ever writing a letter to the Minister of National Security, Mr Albert Kan-Dapaah, requesting that the party trains vigilantes to help provide security for the NPP in the 2020 elections as claimed in a letter that has been widely circulated on social media.
The alleged letter, dated 12 May 2019, quotes Mr Awuku as saying that such a task force would be useful in countering the main opposition National Democratic Congress’ vigilante recruits after the Ayawaso West Wuogon by-election, which, according to the letter, would be used against the NPP in the 2020 polls.
In a statement, however, Mr Awuku said he had never written any such letter to the Minister of National Security and described the correspondence as propaganda gone bad as produced in full below:
My attention has been drawn to a screenshot of a purported letter being circulated on social media platforms that I have addressed to the Minister of National Security for the training of a Special Task Force for Election 2020
I want to emphatically clarify the following:
- This letter is NOT from my desk.
- I will NOT on any ground write a letter to the Hon. minister to request for such training. Besides, training of security operatives does not lie in my domain as National Organiser of the New Patriotic Party as well as that of the National Executives of our great party.
- The signature in the letter is NOT mine.
- The New Patriotic Party is a peaceful and law-abiding party and will NOT engage and meddle in security issues regarding elections in this country whatsoever.
- The alleged letter is NOT referenced.
- Suffice to say, my identity is Sammi Awuku and not Sammy Awuku as the letter suggested.
This circulation is a clear indication of miscalculated propaganda to sway the attention of discerning Ghanaians from the good works of the President Akufo-Addo-led administration and plunge dismay in the midst of the citizenry.
I kindly disassociate myself from this issue and also entreat all to disregard this letter as there is nothing of such kind.
National Organiser, NPP